11th October 2018
We love Halloween here at The BIG Sheep as it is full of strange and wonderful things! From spooky films to your favourite fancy dress, you are guaranteed lots of fun and creativity. Here are some Halloween facts you may not know about this spooktacular holiday.
- Halloween was originally known as ‘Samhain’ (pronounced sow’wen) and since then has been known as All Hallows Eve, Hallowe’en and All Saints Eve.
- Halloween originated in Ireland as a Celtic tradition to celebrate the boundaries between life and death.
- Halloween traditions date back to around 4000BC making it over 6000 years old!
- ‘Samhainophobia’ is the fear of Halloween.
- The word ‘Witch’ comes from the old English word ‘Wicce’ which means ‘Wise Woman’.
- Orange and Black are often associated with Halloween. Orange being the colour of Autumn and Black being associated with Darkness and Death.
- Trick or Treating first originated when Celts would leave treats to please the spirits near their homes. The idea of dressing up followed when the community would dress as scary characters to scare off any bad spirits.
The pumpkin is one of the most recognised symbols of Halloween, here are some facts about the spooky decoration!
- Jack O Lanterns were originally carved out of turnips! Others used beetroot, potatoes and soon after pumpkins were discovered as the perfect Jack O Lantern.
- Because it contains seeds, pumpkins are actually fruit! The savoury taste means it is often mistaken as a vegetable.
- The largest pumpkin ever grown weighed 1190.5kg, the equivalent of 2 grizzly bears!
- The fastest pumpkin carver sculpted eyes, nose, ears and mouth into a pumpkin in a speedy 16 seconds!
- The most pumpkins to be carved in an hour is 109.
- The most Jack O Lanterns to be displayed in one place is a whopping 30,581 in New Hampshire, US.
The best part about Halloween is getting dressed up and celebrating with others and what better way than to break a world record whilst doing it! These mad hopefuls joined together in hope of putting their town on the map by dressing up as Halloween ghoulies.
- The largest gathering of zombies counted to 15,458 in Minneapolis, US. Part of the city was closed off to throw the event, which held multiple stages, entertainment and special guests!
- The largest gathering of witches was held in Lleida, Spain which amounted to 1,607 witches!
- The loudest scream reached a shrieking 129dBa, completed by a school teacher in the Millennium Dome, London!
- The largest gathering of vampires was held in a theme park to celebrate the start of the Halloween celebrations. A huge 1,039 people attended, all dressed in dark clothes and fangs to achieve the world record!
- The largest Halloween themed gathering was organised at the Superdome, New Orleans by television network NBC. Participants had to dress up as their favourite Halloween character when attending a Sunday night football game which totalled to a massive 17,777 attendees.